Warmer weather is here (or maybe on its way?) and we thought it might be fun to pull together a quick list of items that you can grab as a treat to yourself or someone special that will leave plenty of money left over for sun-filled activities this Spring and Summer.
Initial Canvas Tote. A day at the beach, a quick run to the grocery store, or a catch-all for a full week at the office...a tote that is functional, stylish, and under US$20.
Oh, and this would be a perfect gift for a bridal party! Fill it with some goodies and you've got a sweet thank you gift they can use on the big day (to stash water, snacks, flip flops, hairspray, etc) and then use for the rest of the summer.
Hanging Glass Terrarium. We absolutely love this hanging terrarium piece. So much so that we featured it in our Mother's Day gift ideas list. It doesn't require a ton of space (lovely things do come in small packages!) and it's low maintenance...perfect for our (wanna-be) green thumbs.
Whether it's a small thank you gift for someone who has been kind or you're looking for a little pop of color in your digs year round, this is a stunning buy.
Hammock. We feel like taking a nap just looking at this!
Picture a warm sunny day, a good book, a shady tree...instant relaxation.
No need to spend a week's salary on a vacation, snap up this hammock (quick, while it's on sale!) and you'll be enjoying a stay-cation that will have your neighbors peeking over the fence with envy.
Hummingbird Feeder. Hanging from a small deck in the city or from a patio deep in the suburbs, a hummingbird feeder is a perfect addition to any outdoor space. You can hang this beauty almost anywhere, fill it with Bob's famous h'bird juice (recipe below), and just sit back to watch all of the stunning colors of the hummingbirds lining up for the buffet.
Bob's Hummingbird Juice. 4 parts water + 1 part sugar. In a saucepan, combine water and sugar and bring to a slow boil, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat, let cool for up to 4 hours. Pour liquid into feeder and hang outside.
Earbuds. There are so many options out there but these ones caught our eye for a few reasons.
- Price: for under US$20 (on sale!), buy another pair for your bestie as a "just because" gift.
- Built-in microphone: keep your hands free during a walk, making dinner, gardening, or any one of the other to-do's you have on your list.
- Color: we love the gold look for this summer but check out the other colors available.
Iced Tea Pitcher. Yup, it's iced tea time! Ready to whip up your favorite refreshing recipe? Whether you like to keep it OITG (original iced tea gangster) or add a little more flavor (check out the below recipe for Lemon-Blueberry Sweet Tea), stay cool this Summer with this Iced Tea Pitcher, a perfect addition to any picnic or outdoor dining occasion. Prep your tea, fill the internal cylinder with ice and enjoy!
- 1 (12-oz.) package frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 family-size tea bags
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Garnishes: fresh blueberries, lemon rind strips
- Bring blueberries and lemon juice to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; pour through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, using back of a spoon to squeeze out juice. Discard solids. Rinse saucepan clean.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in same saucepan; add 3 tea bags; let stand 5 minutes. Discard tea bags. Stir in sugar and blueberry juice mixture. Pour into a pitcher; cover and chill 1 hour. Serve over ice. Garnish, if desired.